We are so lucky to have an active church choir and gorgeous historic pipe organ. The beauty of their music is a very meaningful part of our worship, as well as the special music that is often provided by other talented members of our congregation. Not only does the choir truly enrich our worship, but their practices and activities can be great fun. For example, their annual Christmas party provides lots of laughs and entertainment. New members are always welcome.
We are proud to be the home to the only remaining pipe organ in Anamosa. On October 2, 1904 it was dedicated along with the new church building at the corner of Booth and First Streets. Kenneth Runkel was first organist to play on this new instrument. It was purchased from Barckhoff Pipe Organ Co. of Pomerroy, Ohio for $1,500. It has 10 ranks and 596 pipes that range in size from cylinder shaped metal pipes to large rectangle shaped wooden pipes and is of the tracker action. Some of the pipes are visible while most of the pipes and pats fill the space behind the wall. The large motor that produces the air to the bellows is in the church basement.
In 1965, it was removed and taken to Gratian Organ Builders in Decatur, Ill to be rebuilt and electrified at a cost of $9000. In 1994 a 25-tube set of chimes was added for $4,750. Over the last 50 years, the talents of organists like Richard Stanaway, Karen Stoll, Glenda Kurth and presently Scott Kelly have enabled us to enjoy the rich music of this wonderous pipe organ.